Erika Wilsen is an experienced professional horn performer and instructor based in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
She tailors lessons to the goals of the individual student and has taught all skill levels, including beginners through university level. For many years, she has maintained a highly regarded horn studio in the Bay Area.
Her teaching philosophy is to meet students at their level and guide them toward creating and reaching their goals. She encourages students to develop a love of music and horn playing.
She enjoys spending time outside and with her family.
Read student and parent reviews
or contact Erika now for more information.
• Private Instructor, 1996-present
• French Horn Lecturer, CSU Stanislaus
• Adjunct Horn Professor, Concordia University-Irvine
• Master Class Clinician, University of California at Santa Barbara
• Horn Coach, El Camino Youth Symphony
• Horn Coach at 12+ schools
• Adjunct Horn Professor, University of San Francisco
• Horn Instructor, Interlochen School for the Arts
• Horn Instructor, Summer Music Institute, University of Michigan
• Pacific Symphony, sub, 2016-present
• Left Coast Quintet, Member 2016-2018
• Avenue Winds, founding member, 2002-2013
• Peninsula Ballet Theatre, Principal
• St. Peter's Chamber Orchestra, Principal
• Opera performances including West Bay Opera, San Francisco Lyric Opera, Opera San Jose
• Musicals with Broadway by the Bay, Mountain Play
• In concert with Barry Manilow, Josh Groban in San Jose & in Sacramento
• Orchestral work with symphonies, including Berkeley, Fremont, Oakland, Santa Cruz, Vallejo, and California Symphony, as well as La Jolla Symphony & Chorus and Pacific Symphony in LA
Education & Awards
• Doctor of Musical Arts, Horn Performance, UCLA
• Master of Music in Horn Performance, University of Michigan
• Bachelor of Arts with a double major in English and Music with Honors, Magna cum laude, Davidson College
• Sarasota Music Festival
• Artist-in-Residence, Banff Centre for the Arts, Canada
• Phi Beta Kappa, member.
• Multiple scholarships received while at UCLA, the University of Michigan and Davidson College, including the Mimi Feldman Scholarship, the Susan and Richard Rogel Scholarship, the Richard Ross Memorial Award, the Harper Music Award, the Martin van Every Scholarship, the Bill Avery Music Award, and the Harper Lesson Scholarship.